What is the most exciting aspect of Numenera to you?

Just wondering what about the game is most exciting to you? 

The setting? The game mechanics? Something else?

Comments

• Besides the fact that Monte Cook is the creator, while the simplicity of the mechanics are a definite plus, I am excited about the setting.  I have always been a Sci-Fi fan (specially dystopian, post-apocalyptic stuff) and a fantasy fan, combining the two is like putting peanut butter and chocolate together.
  • 1 billion years and eight civilizations before. The number of possible stories is insane and pretty much anything goes from time travel to futuristic machinery, to current technology, to mutated beasts, to...well,,,anything.
  • What really hit me about the whole thing was the ease of weaving a story and not being bogged down by game mechanics. Having the story up front is what will keep players and the GM involved. Suck everyone in with a good story arc, throw enough battles to keep the hack-n-slash players interested and develope a world together. And of course Monte, artwork, post-apocalyptic setting and like Mr. Sniezak mentioned, pretty much anything goes!
  • When I saw the Kickstarter, I jumped on it because of the setting description - I knew that if Monte was creating this, it had would be a futuristic masterpiece on the order of his Ptolus.

Mechanics-lite is also a big seller for me.Like most people here, I have been an RPG'er for a long time and have played many systems.   I don't mind games that have a lot of mechanics, but I prefer games that allow for flow of the story, where play does not get bogged down in complex rules. 

• I agree with you on the mechanics-lite thing and letting the story flow Jeffery.  I have high hopes for Numenera in this respect.

What truly has me most excited though is the setting.  It's pretty unique as far as rpg's go.  Even if I don't like the game system (though I suspect I will) I am looking forward to reading about this wild new world and it's cultures, creatures, etc.
  • For me, it was nearly everythig. It was ot so long ago that I was wondering what Mote was doig at the moment. I didn't knew that he was involved in D&D5e or anything (I hung up D&D some years before). So I just googled him and saw the Numenera kickstarter project. Didn't took me log to be a backer...

I just love the idea of the setting. Although I personally will have a darker approach to the ninth world when I start gaming (as soon as I get my hands on the rulebook) I still like the flair. And the rules seem to be astonishing.
  • For me it's a combination of the setting and the game mechanics (I know that's a cop out).

I'm REALLY excited about the setting.  I love the mystery of not knowing about all the previous civilizations and what they may have accomplished, of not knowing for sure which critters you encounter are aliens, extradimensional beings, new life that has evolved in the past billion years, genetic experiements from past civilizations, or combinations of these.  I love the "feel" to the world.  I love that the game is focused on exploring this world, finding ancient wonders and technology, and maybe even trying to understand it.  I also like that this (the understanding) will ultimately not be possible, or if so, in only a small way.  When I first read of the setting, all kinds of ideas started popping into my head.

I'm also really excited about the system though.  Every idea seems innovative and brilliant to me.  I love the focus on the storytelling, the focus on cooperative play between players and between players and GM.  I love the GM intrusion and xp awarding mechanics, the way the characters are built, and the way the dice rolling works.  I love the way the players roll dice and the GM doesn't, instead focusing on story and flow and drama and comedy.  :D

I have some friends (and my wife) that I've never been able to get into RPGs because of the math, or complicated system, etc.  I think that it will be very hard NOT to be able to talk someone into trying Numenera, and I think anyone that tries it will love it, even if they haven't gotten into RPGs at the time.  My wife is excited about it, and I thought I'd never get her to try an RPG again. 
  • It's the alien landscape. I grew up reading Dune and similarly strange settings. I never had the oppurtunity to be in a 2nd edition Planescape campaign but I devoured every sourcebook there was because of the alien landscapes presented. It actually all probably started with reading the Apocalypse of St. John at way too early an age to make my mind constantly be fascinated with surrealism (and a fascination with Salvador Dali didn't help either).

I've used alien landscapes for settings before in games, but mostly when the player characters are sharing a dream or a sort of VR environment. I also had the chance with the game Fading Suns (a game I highly recommend), but it only tapped into the potential that Numenera dives into. I want to see cities and nations built into the sides of giant statues, races that survive as a hive mind but communicate in such a way of showing no understanding of numbers on a linguistic level, temple structures that are actually the hardware for the artificial intelligence that is worshipped as a god by the structure's attendants, etc. The list could go on and on.

I have always interpreted Philip K. Dick's axiom about science and magic to be more of a statement about science than it is about magic. The more we see science can do, and already is doing, the more mystical and magical it becomes. The Alchemists believing chemistry and the human soul are connected might not have been too far off when it comes to the capabilities of neurology and the impact quantum reality can have on it a the quite literal molecular level.

Wow, that was a mouthful.

TL;DR - It's because it's very weird and mind blowing.
  • I'm curious if the world of the Dark Tower was an inspiration for the world of Numenera at all.  I see a lot of parallels.  I really enjoyed that series, especially the parts that took place in Roland's world. 

It had a similar feel of a lower tech setting built on the remains of a higher tech one.  The old tech was nowhere near as advanced as that in Numenera, and there WAS actual magic, but it had a similar feel to it.  One that I will try to capture when I run the game.

I just read The Amber Monolith this weekend, and one thing that I really loved about it was how while most people are superstitious and believe the numenera to be magic, the Aeon priesthood actually understand that it's technology.  I love that they're basically the opposite of what a priest would be in most fantasy games (like D&D or Pathfinder).  They're not superstitious; they're more like archaeologists/scientists.  I really like that, and I could see, if there was anyone called a "priest" in this world, that that's what they would be.

I just love the reversal of everyone believes in magic and superstition, but a learned few understand (somewhat) that the universe operates on laws and there's nothing mystical about it.  Very different from any other fantasy game I've played.
  • Numenera excites me because the stream lined mechanics make it easy for me to turn my wildest ideas into stats I can use in game.  It excites me because for me it marks a return to theater of the mind style game play after years of playing games with people convinced you must have a battle mat.  I also love other things Monte Cook has dreamed up, and I'm awaiting the release of the Strange with baited breath.
  • The setting, period. Even though there's over a hundred pages of setting material in the book, there's still tremendous possibilities to take the setting and make it my own.
  • Floating rocks!! I was originally directed to the game from a forum discussing the old 80's RPG Skyrealms of Jorune.  Someone linked to the artwork showing floating rocks and obelisks and I was hooked.  In general I really enjoy the Science Fantasy aspect of the game (the easy mechanics are a nice bonus, though) but more specifically it is still the floating rocks that gets me going.
  • The Nibovians. Because holy crap are there some epic things you can do with them.
  • As a GM (I GM a lot of games) I love the way the game flows. My job is simplified allowing me to focus on the story. Yet it has a enough crunch that even my skeptic power gamers find it enjoyable, The game allows me to react quickly to a changing situation within the rules so play so fast. This is going to sound funny, but not having to roll a dice has really allowed me to stay focused on the game. We still have the great rolls it is just that the players make them instead of get punished by them.

The setting is built for a GM, there is detail where it is needed and holes that can be easily filled in to keep the game moving. Plus I am a sucker for the weird....
  • The potential for the future, what an emergent humanity could build from the ruins of 5 ultratech civilizations.
  • When I first started reading Numenera, I would have told you the system.  The mechanics are so simple, my kids could play this game.  I personally think that Monte Cook is the first person to have done d20 right.  I've spent my entire gaming career looking for a game so well constructed.  The idea that character creation is simply to create a sentence!!  It's genius, pure genius.

However, now that I've played a few sessions of Numenera, I think the setting is just a powerful as the system.  I originally had a little difficulty getting into the mind-set.  I mean, technology that you don't have to break down or explain.  Even stranger, science that can do literally anything.  No physical explanations are needed, it just does what it does.  I'm more familiar with more traditional sci-fi game, so this threw me off.  The fact that the characters come from a dark-ages mindset seemed like it might be a hindrance.

Then I started GMing it.  My whole perspective of the setting changed within a couple games.  I began to see the power of not only having so much super science in a setting, but also having characters that are so uneducated about any of it.  I found the weirdness that he was talking about, and I fell in love with it.  Once I stopped trying to frame Numenera games in the context of my own personal experiences with science and knowledge, my game exploded.

Now, I find myself throwing confusing and complicated stuff at my characters simply because it makes for an even weirder story.  The setting is so full of questions that you could run a campaign for years and years and never come close to answering them all.  It's a powerful setting with a powerful system.
  • By strange coincidence, Numenera won the Best Setting Ennie this last weekend. :)