Printer friendly character sheet

13»

Comments

• Hello, everyone who might still be reading this!

After succesfully GM'ing a short Numenera campaign, and getting ready to begin a new one, I took the time to incorporate a few of the things my players asked from the character sheet in my design. I've only updated the landscape version because that's the only one we use. Changes include:

- The stats writing spaces are now boxes instead of circles. A particular player was always pestering about the circles, and how he couldn't use all the space to write in properly. I liked the circles, but I have to admit it's more practical this way.

- The cyphers are now in the front. It seemed logical to have all the ready-to-use info in the same side of the sheet. Especially cyphers, since they´re used a lot.

- Tier markers. When you are advancing through tiers, there are four steps you have to complete before upgrading. I've added checkboxes, so everyone knows what have they already improved and how much they have left. Before this, my players would put things like "Tier 1.2", and try to remember what they had upgraded last. I think it's more practical this way. Also, notice that there's a * after "+1Skill", since that upgrade can be used to change other things instead, as seen in the corebook.

Let me know what you think!
  • Very nice Jorge!!!

I've only been able to run one game so far. I want to run the Devil Spine adventure but sadly my players are still a little hung up on D20 vs Cypher System. So I kinda fell off the bandwagon on the interactive sheets. The v8 one though was amazing! I was having a doozy of a time cleaning things up on mine. 
  • Mark..you mentioned a browser messing up the fonts on your version of the interactive sheet. What are you using for viewing the form sheets?
  • Love it! The progression bit is awesome. Think I might add it to my tri-fold A4 version.

Jorge Carrero said:
    Hello, everyone who might still be reading this!

After succesfully GM'ing a short Numenera campaign, and getting ready to begin a new one, I took the time to incorporate a few of the things my players asked from the character sheet in my design. I've only updated the landscape version because that's the only one we use. Changes include:

- The stats writing spaces are now boxes instead of circles. A particular player was always pestering about the circles, and how he couldn't use all the space to write in properly. I liked the circles, but I have to admit it's more practical this way.

- The cyphers are now in the front. It seemed logical to have all the ready-to-use info in the same side of the sheet. Especially cyphers, since they´re used a lot.

- Tier markers. When you are advancing through tiers, there are four steps you have to complete before upgrading. I've added checkboxes, so everyone knows what have they already improved and how much they have left. Before this, my players would put things like "Tier 1.2", and try to remember what they had upgraded last. I think it's more practical this way. Also, notice that there's a * after "+1Skill", since that upgrade can be used to change other things instead, as seen in the corebook.

Let me know what you think!

• LOL: You opened a can of worms that so wasn't worth it. Observe..

Bael the Cruel said:
    Mark..you mentioned a browser messing up the fonts on your version of the interactive sheet. What are you using for viewing the form sheets?

Actually, the issue is one with Acrobat, not the design. At least, as far as I can tell. Yea, minor issue though. Here are the details, and why I eventually just went with the single line fields:

I said:
    I made the Background and Notes areas into two multi-line fields (really annoys me to have to drop my own lines). [...] Ah, now I see why the separate lines were used in the BG and Notes. Wish I could force the correct font size and I could facilitate easier copy-pasting, but the browser overrides it to strange effect. Oh well, guess one of my peeves will have to go unfixed

What had happened before, was that I was pasting entries for items, abilities, etc in to the single line fields of the sheet. I found that one item to a line would make it difficult to fit much on it, so I wanted a continuous paragraph of the copied text instead. Problem is, due to the auto-text-sizing feature built into single line text areas by default, the text was unreadable. so this made it a necessity to then go back and trial-and-error it until I found good places to break the text so the remaining text in each single field entry was readable - despite really being part of the same wall of text. As well, the issue compounded if you ever edited the text. However, if you turn that feature off though, then the single line entries can have more text fit in, but any additional text beyond what can fit at the font size is truncated.

So this created the need, in my mind, for a better set of fields that work like the user might expect (paste a paragraph in, and have text wrap applied for the user for such fields). Thus, in one version of the sheet (one I posted but later took down once I noticed this other issue) I removed the many single-line text fields of the fillable sheet, and replaced each set of them with one multi-line text area of the appropriate size. One for Additional Notes instead of a dozen or so. One for Equipment instead of 5 or so.

So I resumed testing, and as I was filling the sheet out using another long text entry I observed the line spacing was not matching the guides on the background of the sheet itself, such that the gutter of each line of text was gradually misaligned to the background: the default line width for any font size was just a little off after many lines of text were spaced using Adobe's auto-line-height. I fixed the issue using a manual line-height adjustment. Done.

Or so I thought: When I uploaded them here, I opened them up (this time in the browser) to ensure everything looked right, but suddenly the gutter issue over multiple lines was back! This happened no matter the custom line-heights I set. I bug-tested, and found the issue is only present while viewing the sheet in a web browser like Chrome and IE, but not when viewing it using Adobe Reader (I am using a desktop PC with Acrobat X and Reader X).

I therefore determined this is simply a limitation in translating custom PDF formatting options for multi-line text fields into HTML (specifically, that non-default line-heights specified in Acrobat aren't respected when converted to show in the browser).

• AWESOME sheet...thanks, our group is getting ready to play and I was looking for a good sheet and this is it...

JP
  • Aweseome work! thanks for all the time and effort you put in it.

Could you make one more of the last version but fillable?

Greetings Karni
  • Sorry guys but i can't find any link for the sheet in the thread.
    Someone minds linking them?
  • Anyone made a form-fillable version? This sheet is great, BTW. I'll take a stab at it, but not my forte. If I have any success, I'll post here. But, if someone beats me to it...

• Update: after the migration to the new forums, I noticed the attachments weren't brought over again. I went back and checked the old version of the thread and brought the files over that I think were the latest versions and attached them to the OP. If any of those are wrong or I missed a version, please let me know and I'll doublecheck.
  • edited December 2016
    Update: after the migration to the new forums, I noticed the attachments weren't brought over again. I went back and checked the old version of the thread and brought the files over that I think were the latest versions and attached them to the OP. If any of those are wrong or I missed a version, please let me know and I'll doublecheck.
    Hey, there. I registered just so I could comment here. I looked everywhere for the latest version mentioned here but coundn't find it anywhere. Even in the Internet Archive, the only page missing is the one with this link! Neither version added to the first post are the ones mentioned here, they don't match the description given. If the admin or anyone else could repost the links or files, I'd be very grateful! Thanks in advance!

(Edited for clarification)
  • Kilmax said:
    Update: after the migration to the new forums, I noticed the attachments weren't brought over again. I went back and checked the old version of the thread and brought the files over that I think were the latest versions and attached them to the OP. If any of those are wrong or I missed a version, please let me know and I'll doublecheck.
    Hey, there. I registered just so I could comment here. I looked everywhere for the latest version mentioned here but coundn't find it anywhere. Even in the Internet Archive, the only page missing is the one with this link! Neither version added to the first post are the ones mentioned here, they don't match the description given. If the admin or anyone else could repost the links or files, I'd be very grateful! Thanks in advance!

(Edited for clarification)
    I found this while looking for that old character sheet as well, as I had a version printed out and couldn't find it anywhere online.  I did some digging in my old Google Drive and found that revised sheet saved there, so to be helpful I've attached it to this post.  
    pdf
    pdf
    NumeneraCharacterSheetJClandscapenoiconfinal.pdf
  • I found this while looking for that old character sheet as well, as I had a version printed out and couldn't find it anywhere online.  I did some digging in my old Google Drive and found that revised sheet saved there, so to be helpful I've attached it to this post.  
    Thank you very, very much, that's precisely what I was looking for!
  • This is a really thorough job.  I wasn't expecting to find exactly what I was looking for (a simple looking character sheet that doesn't conform  to any obvious setting) but here were four.  Thanks for all the work and making it available.