Question about Hover esotery

I was wondering if this esotery is supposed to be a weak version of fly?

It says you can move short distance with action but it does not say if it only needs to be horizontal movement or can it also be a vertical one.

If esotery only really lets you hover above ground a bit what happens if you try to use it to move over a small hole or up a mountain where walking is very difficult or you need to climb? What about water?

I know that GM can decide on exact details but I am interested in what was the idea behind the design of this esotery.

Comments

• It's Levitate.

I'd say that you would could use it to climb a cliff, or stay aloft over water. It's non-specific on height, so I'd say that if you had the momentum or someone to push you, you could go over a hole and not fall in with this esotery, or you drift over the hole (using another source of forward movement), and then slowly lower yourself in.

The "control gravity" focus has "Flight" as its tier 5 power.
  • The Focus "Controls Gravity" also enables flight (move normal speed) in conjunction with the Hover esotery or trick of the trade - so flight comes much earlier in the progression.
  • A GM can of course play it however one wants but the description is pretty clear:

"You float slowly into the air. If you concentrate, you can control your movement to remain motionless in the air, or float up to a short distance as your action, but no more; otherwise, you drift with the wind or with any momentum you have gained"

so you can move a short distance as an action (if you can concentrate) by the esotery as described.

By the description you'd also need to spend an action to stop... I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that, as it complicates moving across a room or into combat position by requiring two actions (one to move one to stop) which is an interesting limitation-  on the other hand that would mean subsequent rounds of movement (barring wind or whatever) would be "free".
  • My initial reading was vertical only, though I can see the reading that allows for horizontal movement.

I would say that you don't need an action to stop.  If I read it as "move up to short distance by concentrating", I don't get any sense of momentum coming from that...

As always, ymmv.

Greg Childress said:
    A GM can of course play it however one wants but the description is pretty clear:

"You float slowly into the air. If you concentrate, you can control your movement to remain motionless in the air, or float up to a short distance as your action, but no more; otherwise, you drift with the wind or with any momentum you have gained"

so you can move a short distance as an action (if you can concentrate) by the esotery as described.

By the description you'd also need to spend an action to stop... I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that, as it complicates moving across a room or into combat position by requiring two actions (one to move one to stop) which is an interesting limitation-  on the other hand that would mean subsequent rounds of movement (barring wind or whatever) would be "free".

• Seems everyone has a different take on this esotery :)

Also I read the Control Gravity focus and it does not let you fly by combining it with Hover until you get Fly ability from that Focus. It says you can move your normal movement, and unless you normal movement was flying you cannot fly :D

I read it as you can move with using it like you would when you walk, as in you can move immediate distance and do an action, you can move short distance as an action and you can move long distance as an action with a roll. Basically floating become your new way of moving that you don't really need to concentrate upon. 

Without it you can only move with it as an action no matter how far you move and you can only move up to short distance.
  • I agree with your analysis, but not your conclusion. Moving a short distance (while in the air) seems like flying to me. This movement is not as good as the Flight tier 5 ability (1 hour, include others, etc.), but still controlled forward movement while in the air. I interpret the tier 1 ability (combined with Hover) to let the character move in three dimensions during an encounter.
  • You could activate Hover, and then use Push to move yourself in fast spurts :P
  • The way I read the ability is as follows. Activating automatically raises you of the ground a by about 0.5-1 metre tops. Then you can use your action to move horizontally in any direction up to a short distance. The ability is limited by that range because your character knows that if he moves further with the ability the wind/ momentum ends up carrying him  to somewhere he may not enjoy (auto GM intrusion of minor significance that in rare circumstances might be dangerous but mostly inconvenient)

Also I don't believe the ability requires an action to stop. I believe the first part is simply inferring that in strong winds etc you must use your action to prevent them from blowing you away.