Power Is Not Wasted?

Hello everyone.  My name is Jim and I am new to Numenera.  I think this is an awesome game and will be running a campaign in early April.  I will probably have a ton of questions for you all, so please bear with me.  :)

At the bottom of page 91 of the core rule book it says, "If the attack misses, the power is not wasted, and you can try again each round as your action until you hit the target, use another ability, or take a different action that requires you to use your hands."
Can somebody please clear up what this statement means?  Thank you.

Comments

• I agree that it isn't very clear. My interpretation is that it applies to the Action and the use of Effort (refer to the paragraph following it; although this isn't clear either.)

Example:
    I attack a bandit in melee with a verred and use Effort (Might) to hit. I miss, but still spend the Might.
    Next Round, I can attack the bandit again and use Effort (Speed) to increase damage. I hit, spend the Speed and hurt the bandit.
    Next Round, I attack and use Effort (Might) to increase damage.

• jimofpeace -- we've interpreted it to work like "holding the charge" in DND 3.5e, where if you missed with a touch spell, your hand remained charged with the spell until you hit, touched something else, or cast another spell.

The wording of the two rules are very similar.

We essentially combined the statement you quoted with the sentence immediately preceding it: "Effects that require touching the target require a melee attack."

So, taken together the rule would read: 

"Effects that require touching the target require a melee attack. If the attack misses, the power is not wasted, and you can try again each round as your action until you hit the target, use another ability, or take a different action that requires you to use your hands."

We also interpreted that this rule only applies to the points used to activate a power  and not to any effort you might apply to the attack.

Our thought process is that the rule talks about the power not being wasted, not about effort. It seems appropriate to us that effort would be spent regardless of whether you hit -- it represents you putting your all into the swing. You're just as tired/spent whether you hit or not. It also seems simpler to run it this way rather than trying to remember effort used in prior missed attacks.

It's not clear that our interpretation is right, though, and good arguments can be made for it to include all the points used in the melee attack carrying over when you miss.
  • Aha!
    Melfast
    I've just re-read it in light of what you've written and I think you are right in your interpretation. The example says "you activate an esotery, use Effort to reduce the attack roll and miss. Next round you can attack again and use Effort to reduce the difficulty." 
    It does not say you have to activate the esotery again.

The confusion seems to stem from the start of that paragraph - it has been made a new paragraph, starting with "If the attack misses ..."; it is not clear that this carries on from the previous sentence ending "... require a melee attack."

Re-written like this, it is a lot clearer:-

... require a melee attack. If the attack misses, the power is not wasted and you can try again each round as your action ..."