Does armor apply to all damage?

ARMOR (Rules)

Your Armor characteristic reduces the damage you take from attacks directed at you. You get Armor from wearing physical armor (such as a thick leather jacket or chainmail) or from special abilities. Like weapon damage, Armor is a flat number, not a roll. If you’re attacked, subtract your Armor from the damage you take.

ARMOR (Equipment)

Characters expecting danger frequently wear armor. Even the simplest of protective coverings helps against physical attacks, and more sophisticated or heavier armor protects against even graver threats. You can wear only one type of armor at a time—you cannot wear a medium tactical vest over a light tactical vest, for example. However, Armor bonuses from multiple sources combine to provide a total Armor rating.

TOUGH (Descryptor)

Resilient: +1 to Armor.

PRACTICES SOUL SORCERY (Focus)

Phylactery: Your soul is installed in a ring or amulet. This insulates you somewhat from pain, granting you +1 to Armor, and you are trained in Intellect and Might defense tasks.

I know Armor equipment only applies to physical damage but do the general armor rules apply to all damage so that a tough character would reduce 1 damage from mental attacks etc.?

Comments

• This is a GM call; based on the description given, I would rule that it does help against mental attacks (whereas normally mental attacks ignore armour.) It is a bonus for having that Focus and isn't a game-breaker IMO.
  • A bit of a necro to the thread, but in case someone else comes here looking for an answer to the same question I'm going to add my two cents.

While not game breaking if you allow it, I would rule that it doesn't. Mental powers tend to do less damage.  I think it's because they ignore Armor. So letting Armor work on them makes them less effective. Consider Onslaught from the Cypher System Rulebook: (and from Numenera, but the version below is from CSR)

Onslaught (1 Intellect point): You attack a foe within short range using energies that assail either his physical form or his mind. In either case, you must be able to see your target. If the attack is physical, you emit a force blast: a ray of force that inflicts 4 points of damage. If the attack is mental, you focus your mental energy into a mindslice that disrupts the creature's thought processes, inflicting 2 points of Intellect damage (ignores Armor). Some creatures without minds (such as robots or zombies) might be immune to a mindslice. Action.

Damage is halved for being mental energy. 

From a story point of view, I'd be more likely to allow it in the examples above fror Practices Soul Sorcery than for Toughness. YMMV. 

• ? I didn't say all Armour applies. I meant it in the context of Soul Sorcery. 
    Normally, Armour does not affect mental attacks
  • Brass-Jester -- sorry if I misunderstood your reply. OP had asked if Tough would apply to mental attacks, and your reply seemed to agree with that question. I think we're aligned in our thoughts though after reading your last post.

Thanks for clarifying.

Happy gaming.