Replacing Abilities of a Lower tier

Just a qq or opinion here...
I have the Cypher System Rulebook (rather than one of the settings). When looking at any of the types of second tier or greater the verbiage "In addition, you can replace one of your lower-tier abilities with a different one from a lower tier." appears. I do understand that the Previous settings indicate Replace with same tier, however since the verbiage is different, I have to ask was this intentional or am I reading to much.

When a character gains Third Tier and wants to replace a 1st tier ability does this come from 1st tier or can it come from second tier?

Thoughts and opinions welcome here..

Comments

• I think this is the creators trying to tidy up the wording from previous versions, the wording in 'The Strange' is clearer but a bit messy.

Basically, it works like this:

When ascending to Tier 2, you may replace one ability that is of Tier 1 with any other ability from Tier 1.

When ascending to Tier 3, you may replace one ability that is of Tier 1 or 2 with any other ability from Tiers 1 or 2.

When ascending to Tier 4, you may replace one ability that is of Tier 1, 2 or 3 with any other ability from Tiers 1, 2 or 3.

I think you can see the pattern that develops from here.

That means, that you can, over the course of ascending tiers, replace all your Tier 1 abilities with ones from higher Tiers.

If my understanding is in fact incorrect, someone please let me know.
  • Thanks for the response, I am leaning to that reasoning as well. Curious to see what other peoples thoughts are as well.
  • I agree with that interpretation; although none of the Wayfarers have chosen to do so yet.