What does the moon look like?

name says it all:  whent he heroes look up at the sky, what do they see?

The Time Machine film has a moon that's cracked in half and crumbled.  I can't imagine a billion years of advanced tech and no one went up there to build anything.

So:  What are some ideas for what it could look like?

(I don't have my book handy to check, but can't recall anything on the moon)

Comments

• You decide what the moon looks like in your game!
  • I personally love the idea from Book of the New Sun where the Moon is green due to it's terraforming sometime in ages past.  The vast untamed forests of the moon are where the outlaw and rebel to the rightful Autaurch, named Vodalis, supposedly lives.
  • Other than a mention that it appears slightly smaller than it does today (having drifted slightly away from Earth), I haven't really come across anything about the moon.
  • I'm not sure how long it will take, but the moon is slowing the spin of the Earth down, and will eventually sync up to the spin, and Earth will only see one side of it. It will then eventually descend towards Earth, until it reaches the Roche Limit, and then it will be torn apart by the conflicting gravities of the Earth and Sun and become a ring like those around the outer planets...

Or it will, if the sun doesn't expand out and destroy both bodies, which Numenera assumes won't happen.

Alan Moore had a backup series to Tom Strong called Jonni Future. Jonni's uncle, Johnny, left her the keys to the job of protector of Earth in the distant future of the Crepusculum, four billion years in the future. At that point, the Earth is surrounded by a series of worldlets called the Array, and the Moon was stolen by a thief long ago. In fact, I'm thinking that whole series would make for a great alternate world for Numenera...

Anyhow, the moon could be a ring, or stolen long ago, or terraformed into an Earth-like environment, or whatever else you can imagine. :)
  • In the planning for my upcoming Numenera game, I mentioned to my player group that the moon was blue-green and that people with telescopes could clearly see ruins on the side facing Earth, but no sign of people. That totally captured their imaginations. I also let drop that there's a glittering line of sparkles that crosses the night sky called the Bridge of Heaven; one of my players correctly deduced that it's an orbital ring station and that the Beanstalk is the space elevator that goes to it. I didn't confirm that, of course, but the guy's got a degree in astrophysics, so it's hard to pull anything over on him when it comes to science-fantasy settings. XD
  • Me too!

Muton said:
    I personally love the idea from Book of the New Sun where the Moon is green due to it's terraforming sometime in ages past.  The vast untamed forests of the moon are where the outlaw and rebel to the rightful Autaurch, named Vodalis, supposedly lives.

• Jealous!  He sounds like a fun players!

Jeremy Puckett said:
    In the planning for my upcoming Numenera game, I mentioned to my player group that the moon was blue-green and that people with telescopes could clearly see ruins on the side facing Earth, but no sign of people. That totally captured their imaginations. I also let drop that there's a glittering line of sparkles that crosses the night sky called the Bridge of Heaven; one of my players correctly deduced that it's an orbital ring station and that the Beanstalk is the space elevator that goes to it. I didn't confirm that, of course, but the guy's got a degree in astrophysics, so it's hard to pull anything over on him when it comes to science-fantasy settings. XD

• If the Moon had been torn into a ring, would the resultant belt be stable enough to be inhabited?
  • If someone made it to be that way, then yes it would :)

Delta said:
    If the Moon had been torn into a ring, would the resultant belt be stable enough to be inhabited?

• I suppose, some of the previous eight worlds could have created an inhabitable ring of asteroids with relative ease. Perhaps even with a breathable Atmosphere around the whole ring, so that you can fly from asteroid to asteroid by balloon, dirigible or flying mount. This ring could have a certain "spelljammer-feeling" and could be reachable via the "beanstalk" from the corebook. I would certainly like this idea! But I also suppose, some forerunner-civilisation could have accomplished this without destroying Luna. After all, destroying Mercury should provide more than enough material for some floating islands in the sky :D. I shun destroying the moon, because I like the idea of having it terraformed and looking somehow like this (complete with acient and alien civilisations)

• Fun thought- for the Moon to have an atmosphere its mass would need to be pretty majorly upscaled. If it's the same size, and a lot of the surface has become water, that means someone's been mucking around with the insides in a big way.
  • My assumption for a future-tech colonized moon is that there's godtech somewhere in the core that makes people on the surface experience Earth-like gravity while not distorting the orbit.
  • But the orbit's already distorted, it's further away than it is now. And that could conceal a multitude of sins. The mass of the god-tech alone could create earth-normal gravity, which then insinuates a different, grander, purpose. Or porpoise, depending on just how weird you want it to be. 
  • I agree. Considering, what other wonders the eight forerunner-civilisations could create, this seems all to possible. After all, we talk about people, who could (beware: Spoiler ahead) put a massive star inside a box thats as large as a whole solarsystem on the inside, but only a few meters large on the outside. So, raising Lunas mass or creating a atmospherekeeping forcefield does not seem off-limits to me. :)
  • The problem with a force field is that it keeps the atmosphere in, but doesn't do anything about the huge amounts of muscle atrophy that Earth-normal humans would suffer living there. The alternative, of course, is that Lunarians don't worry about such things, being tall, spindly beings that are barely human. Given that a moon-encircling force field is just as much godtech as a gravity generator, I prefer the gravity generator. =3
  • I think at this point I might prefer having a gargantuan cetacean locked away on the inside of the thing, maybe something that swims through the skein of space, with a much larger gravity well than you might otherwise expect. 

http://wp.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonablefaith/files/2009/06/dolphin-fetus.jpg

Which, frankly, is also far from off limits, and possibly just weird enough.
  • The moon is already showing only one face to earth. There is a reason why there is a dark side or backside of the moon. The moon is slowing down the spin of the earth, thus prolonging the earth rotation. A prolonged earth rotation will result in longer days. In Numenera days are 28 hours long. Since the moon slows down rotation by about 1s per 100.000 years, that is a strange figure. Since a 28h long day would be achieved only after 1.440.000.000 years.

If nothing else would happen, the moon would eventually be in geo-stationary orbit around the earth, But before that happens our sun dies.

BTW, the sun will expand to cover the earth orbit rather late in its development (around 11-12 billion years from now - thus long after Numenera). What will happen earlier (and obviously has not happened in Numenera) in around 0,9 billion years, the mean average temperature of the earth mantle will be too high for higher lifeforms.

Craig Brown said:
    I'm not sure how long it will take, but the moon is slowing the spin of the Earth down, and will eventually sync up to the spin, and Earth will only see one side of it. It will then eventually descend towards Earth, until it reaches the Roche Limit, and then it will be torn apart by the conflicting gravities of the Earth and Sun and become a ring like those around the outer planets...

Or it will, if the sun doesn't expand out and destroy both bodies, which Numenera assumes won't happen.

Alan Moore had a backup series to Tom Strong called Jonni Future. Jonni's uncle, Johnny, left her the keys to the job of protector of Earth in the distant future of the Crepusculum, four billion years in the future. At that point, the Earth is surrounded by a series of worldlets called the Array, and the Moon was stolen by a thief long ago. In fact, I'm thinking that whole series would make for a great alternate world for Numenera...

Anyhow, the moon could be a ring, or stolen long ago, or terraformed into an Earth-like environment, or whatever else you can imagine. :)

• I don't have a moon in my world. I have Saturn-like rings instead. 

So without a moon, has this Earth @ 1,000,000,000 CE have a nasty wobble without the Moon's stabilizing influence? Nope-this world is still relatively stable. Why? A very good question. When one finds that out, they can also answer the question on what those with the focus "Howls at the Moon" are howling at. Maybe.
  • Fully terrafromed in my world about 80% larger in the sky, has oceans and strange electrical discharges which most would assume are storms. Lights of large population centers can be seen, and cities if you have a telescope big enough, but no one in my games has figured out how to get there yet. Venus and Mars were also fully terraformed but Mars was abandoned at some point. There are gates to all these places hidden on my world.

Lots of great ideas here for Mars and the other planets:

http://ninthworldhub.com/forum/topics/numenera-mars

Lol on the split moon it reminds me of Thundarr the Barbarian, which has quite a bit in common thematically with Numerera.
  • I've been wondering about the moon as well.

Luna is currently orbit locked (same side always facing Earth) and beyond the point of a geostationary orbit and still moving away.

A billion years from now is the Numenera setting where we know the Earth has been completely terraformed and has apparently gone under a planet/machine singularity. It has one continent that defies plate techtonics, it has continent sized machines under it's surface, it's air is so loaded with machines there are iron winds, and it's dirt is the remains of machines and is now called drit. The Earth isn't suffering from any of the solar life cycle changes that may have effected the sun, and they even had the tech to capture entire stars in little boxes. So pretty much anything is within the realm of possibility.

The moon, aka Luna.  Does it still exist? It would make sense for the previous worlds to have made use of it for resources and location, so it might have been used up. Maybe now it's a ring like Saturn has, only smaller. Perhaps it's a resculpted machine in the sky for people to marvel at. Or maybe it's just gone.

On the other hand, it's also possible that someone restored it on a whim or as a monument. For some reason humans are back, and maybe that was part of the same project. Heck, maybe it just looks like it did before the 1st world, and in reality it's a guardian battledrone protecting Earth from those that would mess with it. So no alien battlefleets slipping in and taking over or blowing things up. Along those lines, if that were the case, it's probably also a beacon broadcasting both a keep away signal and an ftl/warp/hyperspace/whatever suppression field to prevent unauthorized entry to the Sol system. If that's going on, then the only way in without permission is slower than light, and likely to get picked off by the defensive systems that are bound to be all over the solar system. Of course, the inhabitants of Earth wouldn't have the slightest clue about that. 

I'd like to know what the 'official' word is, but for visual purposes, I kind of like the old partly shattered moon that was used in so many post apocalyptic things when I was a kid. :)
  • In my game, the moon is green and surrounded by a ring of slowly moving bright points of light that wink in and out. Occasionally there are flashes of light.
  • I actually moved the moon closer to the Earth and put a large crack in it, people call it the Lune and a common expression is "By the Crack o the Lune!!"
  • Also my player who Howls at the Lune has noticed strange lights upom it's surface occasionally suggesting cities exist upon it.
  • Instead of shattered, how about hollowed?

Imagine a PC astronomer, having recently discovered a far-viewer numenera, turning it to look up at the moon.

The surface expected by the player is a facade, broken and warped in places, exposing a structural skeleton inside, and beyond that, stars.
  • That's what happened to the earth at one point, IMG. What lies at the center is unknown at this point.
  • In my own game, I've ran with a ring and moon set-up.  The idea is that the original moon broke apart many millions of years ago.  It could have been from over-mining, or a war, or whatever.  It doesn't matter now.  The remnants of the moon have formed a permanent debris ring around the Earth.  Given the timeline involved, I assume that very little usable resources remain in the ring.  It was all mined a long time ago.  However, there would still be strange ruins and mines peppered thru-out the entire ring of debris.

After the initial collapse of the original moon, one of the eight previous civilizations actually created a whole new moon.  This moon was built by the gathering together of specific resources and matter in massive quantities.  After this was done, the "ingredients" where placed thru extreme physical manipulation, resulting in the forming of a semi-planet in Earth's orbit.

What exactly exists on these orbital bodies is entirely up to you.  There may be ancient ruins, hostile aliens, or even civilizations preserved from a previous age.  It's up to the imagination really.
  • Twist: The game is on the Moon, and the blue and green orb in the sky overhead is actually old Terra herself.
  • edited June 2015
    Some Thread Voodoo Necromancy:

I sort of like the premise of Neal Stephenson's new book 'Seveneves" for this one:
    The moon blew up without warning and for no apparent reason. It was waxing, only one day short of full. The time was 05:03:12 UTC. Later it would be designated A+0.0.0, or simply Zero.
    By the time of Numenera the remains of the moon would be a pretty ring around the Earth.