Communication and Distance

I have been reading and developing content for my Numenera Campaign.

Seems to me the most common way of Travel in Numenera is by a Pack animal or a slightly faster animal that is not good at hauling weight. Am I pretty much focused to a small area of the world ? Seems that the bigger towns are all several days travel away.

My players do not have any special communications between each other. So that gets a little harder when they split up and the players do not know where each other is anymore.

Are The Numenera GM's pretty much having their players shackled by "beast back transportation" and communication by Messenger that is like a pony express ( unless they die on the way and then the player never knows if their message is delivered or of there was to be a return message?

When traveling how often are the other GM's giving encounters? New placers to explore that they stumble upon while traveling for days to get to another populated location?

Comments

• Numenera is overall an iron age/medieval setting, so the most common forms of communication and travel are limited by the speed of boats, wagons, and runners. Cyphers and Artifacts can provide faster transportation or instantaneous communication, but both will give out, sooner or later.

Since you're the GM, you can advance the common level of technology: telegraphs, semaphore towers (a la the later Discworld novels), steam engines, railroads, what have you. It's your game. However, the setting is essentially post-apocalypse with magical technology sprinkled in. Higher levels of technology don't fit those kinds of settings, and the feudal / frontier nature of the Numenera world makes the sort of cooperation required for railroads or telegraphs unlikely. Arguably, the relative availability of leftover tech -- like magic in fantasy realms -- makes the development of science and technology even harder; why play around with magnets or steam when you can pay a nano or Aeon Priest for a gizmo that does what you want?