Just got into the game, anyone else see this like Destiny?

(somehow this was on the Strange forum..... strange.....)

I found out about this game back in Kickstarter time, but lost track due to, well having to be a "responsible adult". Well just recently got the main book and instantly fell in love with all of it, the setting, the system, the ideas in creates. All of it.
As I read the book, more and more, I began getting ideas of how I would reveal the world to my players (big on concept art handouts) and I saw that I see this world much like the game Destiny is shown in it's concept art. The game almost has the perfect feel look wise, for a science fantasy game.
Now with that being said, I was wondering if some of the DM/GMs could pass along some advice to me. My group is almost completely D&D/Pathfinder players. What would be some good ideas to help them see things more along the lines of science fantasy rather then just fantasy? I have some ideas already I play on using, mainly from the Dark War books, but from your experiences, what would help? Oh and anything I should look out for that would cause, or have been probs you have all faced would also be great.
Thanks for your time, and cannot wait to post, and read more once we start gaming.

Comments

• I'm running my game like a Final Fantasy setting. Still a slightly medieval type setting, with pockets of high and ancient technology. My players, and I for that matter, were really used to the D&D settings as well so I capitalized on that with enough twists to make me and them happy about the game change. I think one of the big tricks is to keep to the feel of the games your players enjoy and throw in the elements of Numenera that you think they will like as well.

Those goblins that are attacking the village are Abhumans or even full on mutants. They live in a cave not too far away, when the PCs find them they can discover a ancient piece of technology that has been warping the abhumans/mutants through their generations creating what they are now. The Shaman of the Abhumans/Mutants is using the Tech as his ceremonial staff or whatnot. Through further investigation in the tunnels the PCs discover that the "Magical Staff" is a missing component to a device half buried in the cavern wall. Inserting the staff into the device, instead of fixing the device causes the device to start spawning more of the creatures, extruding them in giant sticky egg sacs.
    Blah, blah, blah.
    They may not get the experience for all of the kills in the tunnels but they would for finding out the staff is ancient tech, the device in the cavern wall is where it came from, and the device itself is what has been keeping the badguy's numbers up. Start rewarding the discoveries and they will soon see that as the goal and not the wanton destruction of D&D and Pathfinder.

Take the elements and then twist them. My fist adventures in Numenrea were ports of old D&D modules where I replaced all of the magic and magical items with the high and ancient technologies. I also replaced the monsters with something that could have come out of Numenera with lower tier levels. It gave the whole module a coat of fresh paint and my players didn't even notice they were playing a D&D story. My players loved the ideas enough that they could see the merits of the new game. My biggest problem right now is getting them out of the mind set of hoarding the new "magic items" like you do in D&D and Pathfinder and just using them. I mean according to the game text cyphers practically grow on trees or could.
  • edited January 2016
    After our first session, we had a collective discussion of the setting-- what to expect in the future, how the lore of the setting was reflected in the gameplay, etc... The hoarding issue called this to mind.

If you really read the supplements, the published adventures, and even the short stories, cyphers are (often) essentially leftover pieces of machines that still have some residual functionality left in them. If you explain to your players that they're hoarding a scrap of metal, synth or biotech with some loose wires dangling out of the bottom, maybe they'll be more likely to use it and move on to the next piece of expendable tech. (If it looks like trash, you're less likely to want to hoard it, I'd think.)

New players want to hoard, but cyphers should be turning up constantly, as should opportunities to use them. If you aren't using your cyphers promptly, you'll miss out when we find a cache of new ones in the vault ahead, or in the guts of the beast we fight later today, etc... Cyphers should be turning up all the time. The guy who already has his limit in cyphers has difficult, game-stopping decisions to make each time. The guy who uses his cyphers has a blast doing so, and then can get excited each time he gets to "reload" his supply.

Assiduously enforcing the cypher limit rules, and causing unpleasant (scary, not deadly) things to happen when they exceed the safe limits, is a good way to prevent hoarding. Once the habit is cured, it's easy enough to ease up or provide them with safe storage options for those few cyphers they really want to hold for a special occasion.

Oh, well. It's late, and I've rambled long enough. Hopefully, something useful was said in all that text.
  • I have two players out of the group that have no problem with expending cyphers, usually with hilarious results, but the others...well...I'm going to have to pull out the malfunctions and over limit charts. But that's neither here nor there. I'm glad the session worked out well for you.
  • I think they're cheating themselves and their teammates, more than anything, if they aren't using their cyphers. Cyphers range from humorous to awesome, when used. Hoarding is boring. Maybe they'll eventually see that they're missing out on the fun.

We've never actually used any seriously bad malfunction outcomes in our games. We have mostly tried to handle this via roleplay. (We all knew going in that the limits are part of the game, not necessarily part of the world.)

In-game rumor implies all manner of bad things can happen if you handle or carry too many cyphers at once, so we roleplay along with nervous dread. As we become more experienced explorers, we also become more comfortable with handling more and more of the numenera at once, which dovetails nicely with the scaling cypher rules.