Cypher Builder System

Put together a system for creating new cyphers on the fly.  Requires a bit of creativity and patience, but I think it could work really well if your players want to get into the details of getting these weird devices up and running.

Here's the link to the updated pdf on scribd:  http://www.scribd.com/doc/166831946/Cypher-Builder

I've attached a non-updating copy to this post.

Let me know what you folks think!

Comments

• So the part where you say it takes some creativity is the filling out the details, so you stripped down the effects to the bare bones, such as explosion or "teleports matter", and it's up to the GM to determine if it's a self teleportation belt, or a targeted teleporter, or perhaps a ray gun that teleports 1 kg of matter (making it a weapon) or some such?

I like it, with my quick 1 minute perusal; definitely gives a lot more options than the standard list.  I also think with some modifications you could do the same thing with artifacts, or at least you're on the right path to it.  Good job!
  • Thanks!  Yeah, that's the idea.  For this list I just flipped through the existing Cyphers and wrote down a more simplified summary of what they do.  And I agree, you could easily use this same system to make Artifacts and I think I want to look into that after I've tested this a bit.

Muton said:
    So the part where you say it takes some creativity is the filling out the details, so you stripped down the effects to the bare bones, such as explosion or "teleports matter", and it's up to the GM to determine if it's a self teleportation belt, or a targeted teleporter, or perhaps a ray gun that teleports 1 kg of matter (making it a weapon) or some such?

I like it, with my quick 1 minute perusal; definitely gives a lot more options than the standard list.  I also think with some modifications you could do the same thing with artifacts, or at least you're on the right path to it.  Good job!

• I definitely like what you've done here. Have you expanded into artifacts, or are you still testing? Artifacts might also have further versatility, since they're useable multiple times--could you repurpose the explosive element on a gun to build an engine for your now horseless carriage? Could you extract the power source from an electrical beam emitter and wire it in to your armband that cloaks you in shadows? To that end, do artifacts and cyphers become useless when depleted? Or could you use an injector cypher to inject poisons or drugs you got at a local apothecary, even if the original fluid that let you slow time was a one and done scenario?

Edit: Sorry to necro the thread... I just noticed how old it was.