Destiny RPG

My intent is to adapt Bungie's console game Destiny to a playable role playing game using the Cypher System. I do not have a lot of experience with the Cypher System, so any advice would be appreciated. This will not be an exact translation to the Cypher System but an adaption, where the essence of Destiny is preserved. This is an ongoing project.

Right now I'm just filling in the fluff. It helps me flesh out the campaign setting. I'll fill in the gaming mechanics later.

RACES
Human
"This was our world, our solar system. We were here first. And no matter what the darkness brings, we will be here at the dawn."

Humans are survivors, tough and resilient, descended from those who built a Golden Age only to see it ripped away. Now, after an age of retreat and desperate struggle, they fight to take back their solar system and claim a new future.

There are those who believe the Traveler chose Earth for a reason. Now it is humanity's obligation to prove itself worthy of the Traveler's faith.

Awaken
"The others sing this song of Light and Dark. We, together, have transcended such unimaginative limitations."

It is said that the Awoken were born in the Collapse, descended from those who tried to flee its wrath. Something happened to them out on the edge of the deep black, and they were forever changed.

Today many Awoken live in the distant Reef, aloof and mysterious. But others returned to Earth, where their descendants now fight for the City.

Earthborn Awoken who venture out to the Reef, hoping to learn its secrets, find no special welcome from the reclusive Queen.

Exo
"Ask yourself: what threatened your Golden Age ancestors so much that they constructed the Exos to defend themselves?"

Built for a long-forgotten struggle, Exos are self-aware war machines so advanced that nothing short of a Ghost can understand their inner functions. They remain ciphers, even to themselves: their origins and purpose lost to time.

Whoever built the Exos fashioned them in humanity's image, gifting them with diversity of mind and body. Many of the City's Exo citizens live and work alongside their organic brethren. But others fight again, re-forged in the Light of the Traveler to serve as Guardians.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    TYPE

Non-playable Character Companion
    Ghosts
    "In its dying breath, the Traveler created the Ghosts...To seek out those who can wield its Light as a weapon. Guardians, to protect us, and do what the Traveler itself no longer can." - The Speaker

Built from machinery and the Traveler's Light, Ghosts guide their Guardian companions in the quest to reclaim our solar system.

Every Ghost seeks out its Guardian among the ancient dead. The Ghost serves as scout, librarian, and mechanic, waking ancient machinery and cracking alien codes. In the right situations, a Ghost can even save a Guardian from death.

But Ghosts are not immortal. As far as Guardians know, every loss is irreplaceable.

Every player receives an unique Ghost as a companion at character creation.

Guardians
    "Legends are carved across history by the brave."
    Guardians are warriors forged in the Traveler's Light, a final hope in a universe falling into Darkness.

Chosen from the dead by the Traveler's Ghosts, Guardians are those rare few able to wield the Light as a weapon. For centuries they have defended the City. But that defense cannot hold forever.

Now, with the Darkness rising again, the time has come to retake our lost worlds. The Guardians who lead the way will save humanity - and become legend.

Guardian Abilities
    "There is a Light in you from which no Darkness can hide."
    Only Guardians have the gift of the Traveler's Light - the ability to channel its energies to project vast power into the world. Even without a firearm, a Guardian is a radiant engine of destruction.

While these abilities rise from within, Guardians master their power in different ways. Titans understand the Light as a force to hone through practice and strict discipline. Hunters roam and explore in order to learn, using dangerous methods to survive the wilds. And Warlocks study the Light and its inner mechanisms, confronting unfathomable mysteries in the search for transcendent might.

Titan
    "Strive for honor. Stand for hope."

Titans are warriors - heroic defenders of the Light, channeling the gifts of the Traveler to wage war on the Darkness. Steadfast and sure, Titans face any challenge head-on, blunt force instruments of the Traveler's will.

Their lightning-charged fists will knock you off your feet. Their armor and shields make them nearly invincible. Their flaming hammers will wreak destruction upon you. We like to think they are our faceless knights, protecting us from our countless enemies. But their power and resolve gives them the air of rising gods.

ARMORED . POWERFUL . DISCIPLINED

Titan Flavors
    Striker
    "At close quarters a fist is better than any gun."
    Striker Titans charge into close combat, armored in Light and wielding fistfuls of thunder.

Striker tactics depend on shock and disciplined aggression. They must awe and scatter the enemy, or risk being overwhelmed. Fellow Guardians prize their ability to draw fire as they shatter the enemy line.

Defender
    "The wall against which the Darkness breaks."
    Defender Titans are immovable anchors, trained to absorb punishment and control the flow of battle.

Armed with unflinching conviction and an armory of Void techniques, Defenders block the enemy's movements, shrug off their fiercest weapons, and rally fellow Guardians to strike back.

Sunbreaker
    “Forge the fury of undying suns.”
    Some Titan orders predate the City, born of a darker time, when Light was an untamed weapon. The Sunbreakers brought honor to the wild, never seeking the safety of the City. Bound by an oath, they live as mercenaries, seeking battles and alliances beyond the Walls. Now the Light of their fire has at last found rank among the City.

Wield the Hammer of Sol with honor, Titan, it is a thing of legend, both past and future.

Hunter
    "Our old worlds have grown feral - rabid beasts with teeth of rust and ruin. But such beasts are meant to be tamed. Or broken."

Hunters stalk the wilderness beyond the City, harnessing the Light to reclaim the secrets of our lost worlds. They are daring scouts and stealthy killers, expert with knives and precision weapons. Hunters blaze their own trails and write their own laws.

AGILE . ADAPTIVE . INSTINCTIVE

Hunter Flavors
    Gunslinger
    "A lone wolf who lives for the perfect shot."
    In the end, doesn't it all come down to you and your gun?

Don't see much else to say about it. That's just truth.

Bladedancer
    "Beautiful lethality, relentless style."
    There's something to be said for the blade. A knife won't jam. A knife won't run dry. A knife is very, very quiet.

Leave the noise and fire to others. There's work to be done, out there in the dark - monsters that deserve death, delivered quickly, silently, and without mercy.

Nightstalker
    “Draw from the Void. Light the way.”
    A lone hunter stalks the night, firing arrows into the Darkness. There is no hiding, no escape. In the distance, the beast falters, tethered to the void. The killing blow comes without hesitation, without mercy.

There’s truth in the edge of Light, and beneath that truth a deeper truth, hidden from all but a few.

That truth is this: monsters need not fear the night.

Do not hunt the monster. Become the monster.

Warlock
    "We have found new ways to weaponize curiosity. Pathways into the darkness."

Warrior-scholars of the Light, Warlocks devote themselves to understanding the Traveler and its power. A Warlock's mind is an arsenal of deadly secrets, balanced between godhood and madness. On the battlefield, those secrets can shatter reality itself.

ARCANE . REGENERATIVE . STRATEGIC

Warlock Flavors
    Voidwalker
    "Those who have stared into the Void are not bound by the laws of space and time."
    The Traveler came out of the void that surrounds all things. Thus we know that the void is full of power. Thus we enter the void without fear.

Small minds will call your abilities blasphemous. They will compare you to the abominable Wizards of the Hive.

But you will not be held back. Gifted with the Traveler's Light, armed with the secret physics of a lost age, you will tear reality asunder.

You will fear nothing, and nothing will not fear you.

Sunsinger
    "There are flames that even the Darkness cannot extinguish."
    These are dark times. Humanity stands on the brink of extinction. We will carry fire into that darkness - a beacon to guide the way, and a pyre to consume our great enemy.

The Light saved us from death and forged us into weapons. We seek to understand it, to embrace it, to consume and be consumed by it. We hope to become radiant.

Our fellow Guardians need our power. Our civilization needs our strength.

Stormcaller
    “Harmony within, hurricane without.”
    Meditate. Focus. Draw the static from within. The Arc is inside all life.

You must feel it take hold, let it flow through, but not consume you. You are a conduit. Between sky and earth. Electricity and matter. Life and death.

You are a weapon.
  • edited September 2016
    DESCRIPTOR

Racial Descriptors
    In a Destiny RPG setting, some GMs may want Awaken and Exo to be mechanically different from humans. Below are some possibilities for how this might work.

AWOKEN
    "The others sing this song of Light and Dark. We, together, have transcended such unimaginative limitations."

It is said that the Awoken were born in the Collapse, descended from those who tried to flee its wrath. Something happened to them out on the edge of the deep black, and they were forever changed.

Today many Awoken live in the distant Reef, aloof and mysterious. But others returned to Earth, where their descendants now fight for the City.

Earthborn Awoken who venture out to the Reef, hoping to learn its secrets, find no special welcome from the reclusive Queen.

EXO
    "Ask yourself: what threatened your Golden Age ancestors so much that they constructed the Exos to defend themselves?"

Built for a long-forgotten struggle, Exos are self-aware war machines so advanced that nothing short of a Ghost can understand their inner functions. They remain ciphers, even to themselves: their origins and purpose lost to time.

Whoever built the Exos fashioned them in humanity's image, gifting them with diversity of mind and body. Many of the City's Exo citizens live and work alongside their organic brethren. But others fight again, re-forged in the Light of the Traveler to serve as Guardians.
  • edited August 2016
    Has there been any additional work on this? Also, the race "Awaken" should be "Awoken"
  • Ghosts. I don't think every PC really needs one.  They are there to provide narrative, show the player the next objective, and have in-game reasoning for respawns and other FPS mechanics.  Turning Destiny into a table-top RPG; I would cut the number of Ghosts down and use them as NPC guides, archivists or even the occasional medic. Or in keeping with the Cypher System, turn the Ghosts into discoverable/findable Artifacts.  But their useful mechanics, like hacking into databases and ancient computer interfacing could be turned into one-time use Cyphers or handled by the player characters themselves.  My opinion, take it or leave it.
  • Given how old the thread is, Tasty, probably not or the work was transferred to a different forum. 
  • edited September 2016
    I don't agree with the idea that Ghosts should be either "discoverable" or "one time use" as Ghosts DISCOVERED us, and they are always at our disposal. With that said, they should be companion NPCs that the PC can call on as a guide (as u stated), used as an asset (to perform computer or lock picking, or for revive), or even jointly used by the PC (for tasks I mentioned) or the GM for use of providing the PC with information (thru scanning, or as a transmission/message from the tower). The ghost is also a glorified backpack...being able to "conjure" up items like sparrows...

I have taken it on myself to continue this work (and another I found based on Numenera). I should be glad for any help.

Destiny is a rich universe full of great lore and potential for fun adventures. Bungie has fleshed out a lot of data on NPCs, weapons, environments, etc etc etc. One just needs to take the time to extrapolate the material into something players can use on the table. As a matter of fact, most of the tier abilities for classes are built into the subclasses themselves. I would almost be ok with seeing the entire FOCUS (verb) process removed as most of that is tied up in a characters subclass. When pouring over the list of Foci from the Cypher System Book, I found many of them would be redundant or not even usable for certain classes. For example, Master Defender seems pretty exclusive to the Defender Subclass. Titans really wouldn't have access to the stealth/agile Foci as those are primarily hunters. 
  • Cyphers are also considered "artifacts" correct? So, it seems that the new artifacts coming in RoI would fit this system nicely. Players could find/earn artifacts that have a one time use for a short term benefit. 

For example, an artifact that allows the player to control an enemy they successfully melee attack. Which is something the artifact Memory of Timur will do.
  • edited September 2016
    Has there been any additional work on this? Also, the race "Awaken" should be "Awoken"

Updated. Not since January. Honestly I forgot about it. Not that I didn't like the idea, just that there was no feedback till Aug 30. I'm still interested in completing this with the help of the community.
  • Ghosts. I don't think every PC really needs one.  They are there to provide narrative, show the player the next objective, and have in-game reasoning for respawns and other FPS mechanics.  Turning Destiny into a table-top RPG; I would cut the number of Ghosts down and use them as NPC guides, archivists or even the occasional medic. Or in keeping with the Cypher System, turn the Ghosts into discoverable/findable Artifacts.  But their useful mechanics, like hacking into databases and ancient computer interfacing could be turned into one-time use Cyphers or handled by the player characters themselves.  My opinion, take it or leave it.
    You make a good point Stolentime, but to preserve the essence of Destiny, you can't be a guardian without a ghost. They don't add anything besides an in-game conduit between the GM and the players. For example, a player would normally ask the GM a question, but in this game, the player's character would ask his ghost a questions and the GM would answer through it.

Yes, it'll require more RP work from the GM to create unique personalities for each player's ghost but I think it'll make for greater immersion. One example of another game that uses similar elements would be Eclipse Phase and their muses. Each character starts play with an unique muse, or personal AI.

Like everything in the Cypher System or any rpg for that matter, the GM and players can choose to not use this element of the game. I would rather have the option available than not.
  • edited September 2016
    Given how old the thread is, Tasty, probably not or the work was transferred to a different forum. 

Not dead yet! Sorry I've been absent. Like I posted above, I honestly forgot about this thread. For so long there was no feedback online. From the gamers I do play with, no interest cause they don't play Destiny. If there are people interested in discussing this, I'm game for fleshing this out.
  • I don't agree with the idea that Ghosts should be either "discoverable" or "one time use" as Ghosts DISCOVERED us, and they are always at our disposal. With that said, they should be companion NPCs that the PC can call on as a guide (as u stated), used as an asset (to perform computer or lock picking, or for revive), or even jointly used by the PC (for tasks I mentioned) or the GM for use of providing the PC with information (thru scanning, or as a transmission/message from the tower). The ghost is also a glorified backpack...being able to "conjure" up items like sparrows...

I have taken it on myself to continue this work (and another I found based on Numenera). I should be glad for any help.

Destiny is a rich universe full of great lore and potential for fun adventures. Bungie has fleshed out a lot of data on NPCs, weapons, environments, etc etc etc. One just needs to take the time to extrapolate the material into something players can use on the table. As a matter of fact, most of the tier abilities for classes are built into the subclasses themselves. I would almost be ok with seeing the entire FOCUS (verb) process removed as most of that is tied up in a characters subclass. When pouring over the list of Foci from the Cypher System Book, I found many of them would be redundant or not even usable for certain classes. For example, Master Defender seems pretty exclusive to the Defender Subclass. Titans really wouldn't have access to the stealth/agile Foci as those are primarily hunters. 
    I agree tastyhotschmoes that ghosts should be companion NPCs. I feel the game wouldn't be Destiny without the ghost.

Ghost as a backpack - I thought about this too. To limit the amount of space for the data stored would be limited by the Ghost's "software". More space would require finding Golden Age technology to upgrade your ghost for greater storage space. Or the ghost is always limited, hence the reason why guardians have a "bank" back at the tower that has it's space increased as your progress through your character's tiers. The guardian's armor also has storage space as well but is more limiting, like in the game. Just some ideas.

I really like the universe of Destiny and have always thought it would make a great tabletop rpg.

I agree with you on the Focus part. The focus would change depending on what abilities the character has chosen to use before an encounter. Another thing, the flavor abilities could be changed anytime outside of combat once they are unlocked. Like going into the Warlock Sunsinger and choosing a different ability before you begin an encounter. If you're surprised though, you can't change the abilities till after the encounter.
  • edited September 2016
    Cyphers are also considered "artifacts" correct? So, it seems that the new artifacts coming in RoI would fit this system nicely. Players could find/earn artifacts that have a one time use for a short term benefit. 

For example, an artifact that allows the player to control an enemy they successfully melee attack. Which is something the artifact Memory of Timur will do.

Yeah, that would be cool. What do you mean by "RoI"? Cyphers would definitely be Golden Age relics.
  • neoshade said:
    Cyphers are also considered "artifacts" correct? So, it seems that the new artifacts coming in RoI would fit this system nicely. Players could find/earn artifacts that have a one time use for a short term benefit. 

Yeah, that would be cool. What do you mean by "RoI"? Cyphers would definitely be Golden Age relics.
    Rise of Iron. Are you actively playing Destiny now?
  • Ah sorry. I thought you were referring to something involving the Cypher System. Yes, I'm familiar with Rise of Iron. Destiny's artifacts would fit well with cyphers.
  • neoshade said:
    Ah sorry. I thought you were referring to something involving the Cypher System. Yes, I'm familiar with Rise of Iron. Destiny's artifacts would fit well with cyphers.
    Yes they would. 
  • Neoshade: Not sure where the best place to reach you is (here or gmail), but I have sent you several emails with thoughts/documents.