Slumberland

edited October 2015 in Recursions
Slumberland
Level: 5
Laws: Magic, Mad Science
Playable Races: Any (Natives of Slumberland are humanoid, but run the gamut of "Traditional Human" to strangely colored human to anthropomorphic, racial differences are purely cosmetic)
Connection to the Strange: Slumberland floats in the Strange like a soap bubble in a sink
Connection to Earth: Unique: Accessible to any creature with the spark on Earth capable of dreaming and has dreamed.
Foci: Draggable, Awakens Dreams, Slays Dragons, Blazes with Radiance, Works Miracles, Casts Spells, Conducts Weird Science, Entertains, Grows to Towering Heights, Spawns
Skills: As listed on main skills list
Size: 1000+ miles, split between Morpheus' Kingdom and the Nightmare Lands.
Spark: 80%
Traits: Kingdom of Morpheus: Lucky, Nightmare Lands: Strange

Description:
::Estate Report::
Slumberland is a land divided, split between two beings of incredible power. King Morpheus, the king of dreams rules over the people of Slumberland, a majority of which are actually sleeping quickened inhabitants of Earth, able to access the recursion via dreaming (but not fully aware that they are in fact in a recursion), the rest are members of Morpheus' court, and non-quickened inhabitants of the kingdom. Though dreaming individuals of Earth are able to reach the recursion via the dream, it appears they are not subject to the regular dangers of recursion travel, as though dreamers may be harmed or even killed in Slumberland, it appears their death here equates to their return to Earth (almost like the concept of "Astral Travel" or "Out of Body Experiences").

These strange rules dictating the way dreamers are able to reach Slumberland are said to be crafted and controlled by Morpheus himself (rumored from a number of citizens of the kingdom). They claim Slumberland and King Morpheus are not mutually exclusive, that he had a hand in creating the realm (recursion) itself, not unlike a god. Due to his ability to keep Nightmare Land in check (see below) the Estate has made no attempt to open formal communication with Morpheus' court, as we believe he could be a very dangerous threat due to the recursion's unique connection to Earth. One thing is for certain, Morpheus and members of his court have manifested a number of extraordinary abilities, including shunting dreamers out of the recursion (though this ability appears to be used only for disciplinary purposes, except in the case of former court jester, "Flip" who appears to do so for "chuckles", I assume this contributed to his diminished standing with the court).

Whatever Morpheus' motives, most of his attention seems to be fixed on guarding his realm from "The Nightmare King", who does seem to have malicious designs on invading Slumberland, and affecting the dreams of individuals that have the spark. On the few reported incursions of Nightmare creatures invading Slumberland, they do prefer targets what natives call "Dreamers", or those who contain "The Spark".

King Morpheus and The Nightmare King have been at odds, as one native stated, "longer than Man has dreamed a dream.", though no incursions by Nightmare creatures have occurred in (our best estimate) over a hundred years. But descriptions of the Nightmare creatures (as described by Slumberland Natives) sound suspiciously like creatures native to the Strange itself, including Inklings, Nezerek, and Thonik, though there are many others that we do not yet recognize. This leads us to believe that like Ardeyn, Slumberland has a direct connection to the Strange itself, via the Nightmare Lands. This hypothesis has not yet been tested as the only way to reach the Nightmare lands from Slumberland is via a door for which only King Morpheus has the key. Accepting that The Nightmare King does indeed have the power to command creatures native to the Strange it's possible that The Nightmare King may actually be native to the strange itself, or at least not native to Slumberland.

I realize that the information in this report is nowhere near sufficient, and does not even include Slumberland's culture (which seems to be heavily influenced by any number of human cultures), its native people (who seem amiable enough...except for Flip), or the scope of its influence on Earth (though a startlingly accurate representation of Slumberland can be found in Winsor McCay's 1905 cartoon strips "Dream of the Rarebit Fiend" and "Little Nemo in Slumberland").

Further investigation is required, but I fear that get the answers we seek we may have to "show our hand", and make Morpheus aware of our existence. I would recommend making a member of his court an asset, possibly his daughter, Princess Camille.

-Operative Mohammed Bell

::This is still a work in progress, based on Winsor McCay's 1905 comic series "Little Nemo in Slumber Land", which I believe is public domain. Please use freely, share, and look to the original comic series and 1989 film for inspiration!::

Comments

• I like the way you've detailed this as a report, gives a lot of information while still leaving a lot ambiguous. Great start.

I recommend considering including the focus 'Awakens Dreams' and possibly even 'Sculpts Light' from the In 'Translation' book as those could lend themselves very well into this kind of recursion. If you don't have that book, get it, there's loads of good stuff in there!

It might also be worth writing reports like this but for the other major organisations, like the OSR and the Quiet Cabal, to give some alternative positions on it.

Something I would ask, if Recursors can travel to Slumberland via dreaming, how does that differ from actually Translating there via ritual or Translation Gate or using an Inapposite gate and if dying while dreaming simply returns them to Earth, what happens in the other situations?
  • I like the way you've detailed this as a report, gives a lot of information while still leaving a lot ambiguous. Great start.

I recommend considering including the focus 'Awakens Dreams' and possibly even 'Sculpts Light' from the In 'Translation' book as those could lend themselves very well into this kind of recursion. If you don't have that book, get it, there's loads of good stuff in there!

It might also be worth writing reports like this but for the other major organisations, like the OSR and the Quiet Cabal, to give some alternative positions on it.

Something I would ask, if Recursors can travel to Slumberland via dreaming, how does that differ from actually Translating there via ritual or Translation Gate or using an Inapposite gate and if dying while dreaming simply returns them to Earth, what happens in the other situations?

Those are some of the things I've been working out, here's a few ideas I've had so far. As far as how to enter Slumberland, that's the trick, dreamers don't know they're in a recursion, and if even recursors "dream into" slumberland they may not either, they only recognize it as a dream. Dreaming in is like translating, dreamers change change when they enter, but don't necessarily have the power a recursor might, or the grasp of it at any rate. This also gives an easy in to recursors, all they have to do is realize they've "actually" been there, and they won't need a key to enter.

A Dreamer in Slumberland isn't "real", they aren't actually there, only projected. Only Natives and recursors who've traveled to Slumberland is real, and there in lies the danger. If Dreamers die, their dream ends. If Recursors or Natives die, the consequences are very real. Part of this I just didn't get around to finish, but some of it I kind of want to leave ambiguous so folks will fill in the blanks themselves, come up with their own take on Slumberland. Also, I was drunk and it was 4 am when I wrote it, so I'm sure there's plenty of holes.

I haven't got the "In Translation" book...yet, but I plan to. I'll probably update my created recursions when I do, I'm sure they'll be quite a bit more fleshed out.