How many intrusions is too many intrusions?

So in my first real game of running the strange i used about 5-6 intrusions across 3 players, I was just wondering how often you all use intrusions? Personally I really like the idea, and most of the time, I'll use them to make something exciting happen or perhaps put the player in an exciting position.

For example, I was running a game on a plane and a player used a cypher to open a portal to attack something on the wing and subsequently to push out some more threats. In a failed attack against a player, I had them grab the player and put both characters Eiffel towering over the opening. Or having a monster they locked in a room burst through the suspended ceiling to continue the fight.

but the question remains, how many is too many?

Comments

• I've been trying for one per player per session, assuming a 3 to 4 hour session.
  • edited May 2015
    This is a question with no real "right" answer, IMO. The biggest risk is the acceleration of leveling by the characters, since each intrusion mixes 2 XP into the session. The bigger question really is, "How many XP should each character get during a session," (I am for 4-6) and depending on what your pacing is set for your group, the amount the players get through exploration and discoveries will then lead you to how much space you have for Intrusions to come into the mix to bring that number up to par.

Also, it might be worth reminding your players that XP can be spent to COUNTER GM Intrusions. Which is to say, as a GM, you can build in really bad "trap" intrusions into a session that really are designed to force the players to spend an XP to balance it out so you can use more normal ones.

And I can absolutely promise, you can never have enough GM Intrusions through the rolling of 1s. Those are like special little gifts dropped from the datasphere into our laps.
  • Only the natural 1s. I don't use the XP-intrusion rules.

Although I love the intrusion suggestions on foes and events. I just either leave it for the eventual 1, or use it if I want without any XP mechanics.
  • wkeller said:

I've been trying for one per player per session, assuming a 3 to 4 hour session.

This is a good place to start, I sometimes plan intrusions as part of the story. Like something I had planned all along "You guys escaped the space station it's been a few hours of hyper-light travel. Now that you're light-years away, you have time to drop out into normal space near an unknown forest planet and repair the damaged hull, but that's when an Imperial frigate drops out of FTL...Group Intrusion, everyone grab an exp".
  • Thanshin said:

Only the natural 1s. I don't use the XP-intrusion rules.

Although I love the intrusion suggestions on foes and events. I just either leave it for the eventual 1, or use it if I want without any XP mechanics.

How are you awarding XP then? Are you just using the "Finding artefacts etc." rules?
    I've never had a problem with awarding XP with intrusions; IME the players spend them on re-rolls and so a steady supply is an advantage (and no-one is even Second Tier yet)!